Category Archives: 2005 News

Dec-9-2005-Town Crier-$20-M makeover for Casa Loma raises questions

Charity’s operating expenses should be audited, says critic

The Kiwanis Club has operated Casa Loma on behalf of the city since 1937, but some residents and city officials are now expressing doubt over the charity’s ability to manage the well-known landmark.

The castle is one of the city’s top tourist attractions, pulling in $5.6 million last year. The expenses of running and maintaining the castle were $4.33 million. However, those expenses weren’t outlined in a recent city report.

That’s part of the problem, said Trelawny Howell, the great-grandniece of Sir Henry Pellatt, the man who originally built and owned the castle.

“It (Kiwanis) should be audited,” she said.

Last year, Casa Loma had a net revenue of $1.26 million, of which the city received 77 percent and the remaining 23 percent went to Kiwanis.

Because the castle has fallen into disrepair over the years, the city recently approved spending $20 million on its restoration, which is now half completed.


Read the rest
Posted in 2005 News | Comments Off on Dec-9-2005-Town Crier-$20-M makeover for Casa Loma raises questions

Jul-9-2005-Star How a Casa crumbles

Dusty effort to restore tourist magnet

Casa Loma long a victim of local neglect


A man's home is his castle; in Sir Henry Pellatt's case, it was Casa Loma.

Built between 1911 and 1914, it was ó and still is ó the grandest residence ever constructed in Canada. With 98 rooms, it was conceived on a scale that dwarfed everything else around it.

These days Casa Loma is one of Toronto's most popular tourist attractions. Since the city took over Pellatt's castle for non-payment of taxes and handed it over the Kiwanis Club in 1936, little has changed at the "house on the hill" above Spadina Rd. Now people are beginning to wonder if the Kiwanis Club is the best choice to run Casa Loma. The well-intentioned service club uses its portion of the profit to support charitable projects, but many feel that it has failed to take advantage of the place.Last year a special committee was

Read the rest
Posted in 2005 News | Comments Off on Jul-9-2005-Star How a Casa crumbles

Jun-4-2005-Globe Casa Loma’s identity crisis

Is it time for an image makeover for a tired city landmark?


Seated on a bench in the manicured gardens of Casa Loma, Trelawny Howell recalls her late mother's fond memories of the famous relative who built the "house on the hill."

Sir Henry Pellatt was a larger-than-life Toronto entrepreneur, philanthropist and military enthusiast -- a symbol of the city's expansive ambitions at the dawn of the 20th century.

Ms. Howell says her mother, Peggy Chadwick, only knew the iconic figure as "Uncle Harry," the great-uncle who spoiled the little girl growing up in the early 1920s.

"She adored him and he called her 'girlie,' " says Ms. Howell, a great-grandniece of Sir Henry, who built Casa Loma between 1911 and 1914 but lost the mansion by 1923 blaming high property taxes and financial misfortunes.

Today, Casa Loma ranks as Toronto's third-biggest tourist draw,

Read the rest
Posted in 2005 News | Comments Off on Jun-4-2005-Globe Casa Loma’s identity crisis

Apr-2005- Casa Loma’s fate

One of the city’s great landmarks

By Trelawny Howell TORONTO WATERFRONT MAGAZINE… Read the rest

Posted in 2005 News | Comments Off on Apr-2005- Casa Loma’s fate